So I was going to just share this in my newsletter, but I thought that’s not really fair now, is it?I think we could all benefit from clearing out the toxic junk in our houses and replacing them with natural, nourishing alternatives. So here we go….
Little known fact – I used to work as a beauty publicist for a very well-known prestige skincare brand. I got ALL the goodies, and I learned a lot about skincare in the process. Unfortunately though, as “prestige” as this skincare brand may be, it is full of synthetic chemicals that have the ability to do damage to our bodies – think endocrine disrupters that throw our hormones off balance and increase the toxic load on our liver (‘cos our skin is our largest organ – it absorbs everything we put on it, then these substances travel into our blood stream). And as you know – hormone balance is at the root of optimal health, right?
Anywho – lately I have been experimenting with making my own, non-toxic, skincare using only the most pure ingredients (and very few ingredients at that, which makes it much more affordable, and less “overwhelming” for my body). Not only am I saving money (prior to this I was using Tailor Skincare, which is fab, but a little pricey), but I am nourishing my skin with very healing ingredients, and it is fun to play around with making your own goodies!
These products are mostly made up with nourishing carrier oils and pure, therapeutic grade essential oils from dōTERRA. It’s important to use good quality essential oils, such as these, as they are free from added fillers, synthetic ingredients, or harmful contaminants that would reduce the efficacy of the essential oils and, again, increase the toxic load on your body.
If you’re wondering WHY I have chosen dōTERRA oils, have a read of THIS POST. And if you’re keen to get your mits on these oils (with a 25% discount, and the potential to get even more rewards), have a read of THIS POST.
Here’s a great video on how you’ll actually SAVE money with doTERRA –
OK, now onto the recipes…
Nourishing Facial Toner
In a glass spray bottle, mix together the following ingredients:
- 1/2 C witch hazel
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil (side note – I have been using this straight as a nourishing lip balm – love it!)
- 2 drops each of the following essential oils –
– geranium – promotes healthy, clear, glowing skin, while reducing appearance of fine lines
– lavender – an all-round skincare powerhouse, it has powerful antioxidants, reduces redness, fights acne, and soothes the skin
– wild orange – decreases wrinkles and improves complexion (and is a great mood-booster)
Spray lightly over face after cleansing (I’m working on this recipe)
Hydrating and Anti-Aging Face Serum
In a 50mL glass pump bottle (I used old skincare bottles washed out), mix the following:
- 15mL each of the following carrier oils – avocado oil, jojoba oil and apricot kernel oil (I get all of these (Now Solutions brand) from http://www.iherb.com – great products at an even better price. Use the code “KOC945” for a discount)
- 5mL vitamin E oil
- 2 drops geranium essential oil
- 6 drops each of the following essential oils
– frankincense (probably my favourite oil – helps reduce acne, blemishes, the appearance of large pores, prevent wrinkles, and it even helps lift and tighten skin to naturally slow the signs of ageing
– ylang ylang – preserves a youthful glow, fights signs of ageing, decreases irritation and smells AMAZING (I wear it as my fragrance)
Apply after toner
Add to a glass bottle:
- 15mL apricot kernel oil
- 5mL each of the following carrier oils – vitamin E, jojoba oil, avocado oil
- 2 drops each of the following essential oils:
Apply as needed. For more on eczema, check out THIS POST.
PHEW! Lots of (hopefully useful) info in there. Do shout out if you have any questions about any of this! If you’re having issues with the whole opening up of a dōTERRA account, or not sure what to get that’s right for you, sing out and I can walk you through it.